15 February 2010

a vintage feel


When I first started taking photos, I thought a black background was the be-all-end-all of good pictures.  I meticulously edited my photos until many of them looked like they were taken with a velvet backdrop.  Whatever.  Now I can hardly stand that look.

My personal art aesthetic (or taste, I guess) is always changing, and it always reflects my current taste in music, clothes, home decor, etc.  Right now, I'm all about old/vintage stuff.  I love antique stores and I want an old home. No black velvet or crystal chandeliers anywhere...just imperfect wood floors and character and history and sunshine.  Those don't come in new homes.   


So today, I revisited some photos taken years ago, to see what my current aesthetic would produce.  No surprise - they have a very old feel to them.  Who knows what my style will be in five years?  I feel a bit fickle, like I'm going with trends instead of doing what I love.  Hey, it's not my fault vintage stuff is popular.  I liked it before I knew it was "in."

But I think it's interesting that peoples' style changes.  It makes me a little afraid to ever buy a home, because maybe in ten years I'll hate oldness and be sick of looking at that, too.

But at least for now, there's nothing I'd rather create. 


No comments: